Thursday 3 March 2011

Jeff Flindt.















































































Surfing Magazine’s senior photographer, now living in Sweden when not traveling to some far-flung destination in pursuit of perfect waves with the worlds best surfers.

So how exactly does one get a job traveling the world shooting for a top surf mag?
It takes years and years of hard work. My position at Surfing didn’t happen overnight. It took about 4-5 years before I became senior photographer at the mag. Before that I was photographing any and every contest and small travel trips with the worst surfers. It’s just like with any job, you have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top. As you work your way up you learn a lot and gain many contacts all over the world.

Favourite place to surf in the North Sea?
I don't surf, I body-board and I’ve never surfed in the North Sea. I’m usually shooting from the water if its warm or shooting from land. I still need to get out and explore the North Sea coast line, I’ve only been living in Sweden for 3 years, thats my excuse!

I mostly shoot from the water instead of bodyboarding, I have more fun shooting. I like to document the waves and be inside the barrel with the surfers so I can share with others what it’s like. My favorite place to bodyboard would be either Off The Wall in Hawaii or Teahupoo in Tahiti. I don’t like it big, maybe 4-6 ft faces.

What's in your camera bag, what can't you live without?
Canon EOS Mark III 1D, Canon 5D, Tokina fisheye (will be replaced with the new Canon fisheye soon), 500mm f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 50mm, and a 580EZ flash. I have a handmade water-housing plus ports for my Mark III and a 15" Macbook Pro. I couldn’t live without my computer. I use my computer way more than my cameras. What wouldn’t I do with out email, Facebook, Twitter, and Skype... Pfffff, just kidding!?

Check here for more... Jeff Flindt
The day job... Surfing Magazine

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment